5 Genius Ways to Boost Your Dental Hygiene Routine

5 Genius Ways to Boost Your Dental Hygiene Routine

October brings to mind Halloween, candy, and pumpkin-flavored treats. But with 90% or more of Americans having dental cavities and other oral health problems, October is also a great time to think about improving your oral hygiene.

The American Dental Hygienists’ Association (ADHA) agrees, which is why it named October as National Dental Hygiene Month. At Legacy Dental Care in Ballwin, Missouri, Amanda Darling, DDS and our team are celebrating by giving you five great ways to boost your oral health!  

1. Switch to an electric toothbrush

When used properly, an electric toothbrush can be more effective than a traditional toothbrush. Instead of brushing back and forth, you guide the brush over your teeth and let the vibrations do the cleaning for you. 

An electric toothbrush is a good idea if you tend to get lots of plaque buildup on your teeth. Plus, electric toothbrushes often come with timers to ensure you brush your teeth for the right amount of time. 

It’s important to choose the right electric toothbrush for your unique dental needs. Talk to Dr. Darling for personalized recommendations.  

2. Stash a toothbrush at the office

If you’re out of the house at work for much of the day, chances are you’re eating at the office. Researchers at the American Dental Association recommend waiting about an hour after eating before brushing your teeth to give your saliva the opportunity to do its natural cleaning. 

By keeping a toothbrush at the office, you can clean your teeth as needed. Just be sure to keep your toothbrush covered and clean.   

3. Rinse after flossing

It’s important to floss your teeth every day since brushing alone can only reach about 60% of the surfaces of your teeth. Flossing helps ensure the other 40% stay clean and plaque-free. After you floss, make sure to rinse your mouth thoroughly to ensure the bacteria and debris it loosened is flushed away.  

4. Don’t forget your tongue

Your tongue is home to millions of bacteria, but many people forget to clean it as part of their oral health routine. Some of these bacteria contribute to plaque buildup and bad breath, so be sure to gently brush your tongue each time you clean your teeth.  

5. Schedule your dental exam

If you haven’t done so already, October is a great time to visit your dentist or schedule your next appointment. At Legacy Dental Care, our goal is to help you enjoy the best dental hygiene possible. 

Our general and family dentistry services help prevent oral health problems like gum disease, tooth loss, and tooth decay. We can also treat common dental issues like tooth infections, damaged teeth, cavities, and gingivitis. 

Want more tips on boosting your dental hygiene? Contact the team at Legacy Dental Care in Ballwin by calling 636-203-7519 to make an appointment. Have a wonderful National Dental Hygiene Month! 

You Might Also Enjoy...

Why Pediatric Dentistry Matters

You’re committed to helping your child have a happy, healthy school year. But without pediatric dental care, cavities and other dental issues can cause long-term problems. Fortunately, pediatric dentistry can help. Here’s how.

How Invisalign Works

Thinking about straightening your teeth with clear dental aligners but want to better understand how they work? We’ve got you covered! Keep reading to learn how Invisalign®, the most popular aligners in America, straighten your teeth.

How to Care for Your Temporary Crown

While your temporary crown won’t be in your mouth for long, caring for it the right way helps you avoid discomfort now and problems down the line. Keep reading to learn what you need to know about caring for a temporary dental crown.

5 Popular Cosmetic Dentistry Options

You’re ready to get the smile of your dreams, but with so many options out there for improving your grin, it can be hard to choose. We’ve got you covered. Learn about five popular cosmetic dentistry options and see if one or more is right for you.

Remarkable Benefits of Whiter Teeth

Do your less-than-pearly-white teeth have you hiding your smile? Many options exist to whiten your smile, but not all approaches are equal. Learn about the many benefits of whiter teeth and the best whitening options for a brighter smile!